1. Home
  2. /
  3. Appointments
  4. /
  5. Sickness Certificates

Sickness Certificates

You do not require a Doctor’s sickness certificate for any illness lasting seven days or less. Your employer may however require you to complete a Self-Certification form (SC2) which is available from your employer or on the Government website.

Evidence that you are sick

If you are sick for more than seven days, your employer can ask you to give them some form of medical evidence to support payment of SSP (statutory sick pay).

It is up to your employer to decide whether you are incapable of work. A medical certificate, called a ‘Statement of Fitness for Work’ (see below) from your doctor is strong evidence that you are sick and would normally be accepted, unless there is evidence to prove otherwise.

You could also provide evidence from someone who is not a medical practitioner, e.g. a Dentist. Your employer will decide whether or not this evidence is acceptable. If your employer has any doubts, they may still ask for a medical certificate from your GP.

You must have a face to face appointment with a GP in order to receive your first ‘Statement of Fitness for Work’ for any ailment/medical condition. If the date on your ‘Statement of Fitness for Work’  expires and you have not fully recovered from the original ailment/medical condition therefore requiring a further period of time away from work, you may request another ‘Statement of Fitness for Work’ by phone. The request will be passed to a GP for review. Please note however, that that a further ‘Statement of Fitness for Work’ will not automatically be issued and the GP may require you to come in for an appointment..

For more information about the ‘Statement of Fitness for Work’ see the Government website (from where this information was sourced).